Viking Oat Malt is our new special malt designed to give balancing base for beers with many hop and malt blends.
Viking Oat Malt is traditionally malted product from specially selected varieties. It comes with a natural husk. The taste of oat malt is soft and the general impact of it can be said to be balancing. Viking Oat Malt is expected to bring creamy and velvety mouthfeel into your beer.
- Low coloring power with a straw yellow hue.
- The amylase activity/degree of fermentation are modest and needs to be considered while designing malt blends.
- Viking Oat Malt is ideal malt for beers when smooth taste and velvety is desired.
- Recommended dosage rate up to 20% (30%).
- To reach good processability a special attention is needed during milling process. Compared to barley malt, oat malt is more narrow shaped grain and needs different settings from the mill.
- It is recommended that oat malt is milled separately.
- Oat malt forms a great base for many beers.
- Oat malt’s flavor when evaluated separately has a lot of character and the sensation is unique. The flavor is anyway very flexible and in most cases it settles in the background and gives support to other malt’s best characters.